Obtaining a Grant of Probate only
We offer a range of services for clients who only wish us to obtain a Grant of Representation. These vary depending on the complexity of the application.
This can be charged on a fixed fee of between £795.00 - £1595.00 + 20% VAT where the gross value of the estate is less than £325,000. Where the gross value of the estate exceeds this figure, hourly rate charges will be applied in addition to the fixed fee.
The hourly rates are between £250.00-£295.00 + 20% VAT depending on the experience of the fee earner handling your case.
This includes obtaining the grant and completing the necessary paperwork relating to the Court application.
Apart from our own costs, there are payments which we have to make to other people which are known as disbursements. The first of these is taxes due to Government. If an estate is liable to inheritance tax, that tax has to be paid before the Grant of Probate is issued. There may be income tax and capital gains tax due on an estate.
Disbursements expenses include:
- Probate application fee - £273.00 plus £1.50 per sealed copy Grant of Probate (VAT is not applicable)
As part of our fixed fee we will:
- Provide you with a dedicated and experienced probate practitioner to work on your matter
- Identify the legally appointed executors or administrators and beneficiaries
- Accurately identify the type of Probate application you will require
- Obtain the relevant documents required to make the application
- Complete the Probate Application and the relevant HMRC form (if applicable)
- Make the application to the Probate Court on your behalf
- Obtain the Probate and send it to you so that you can administer the estate yourself
On average, estates that fall within this range of less than £325,000 are dealt with within 8-16 weeks depending on the time taken for the Probate Registry to issue the Grant. Those estates that exceed this figure can take up to 12 months plus to finalise if clearance is required from HMRC.